The court asked Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd and Reliance to inform it by next Tuesday as to how this facility could be installed in central jails.
Telecom regulator TRAI has postponed the announcement of reduction in Access Deficit Charge in view of strong opposition from the incumbent operator Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.
Telecom tariffs are likely to come down further with the Telecom Regulatory Authority saying on Wednesday that it would recommend lower access deficit charge
BSNL has slashed rates of all such calls from its landline network to the level of local call rates of Rs 0.80-1.20, depending upon the rate plan, with a pulse of three minutes.
In a setback to the telecom regulator, the Telecom Dispute Settlement and Appellate Tribunal has barred TRAI from intervening in any dispute arising between two operators on the terms and conditions of interconnection.
Being the only universal service provider in uneconomic areas, the state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd has sought exemption from contributing to the dedicated fund saying it should be reimbursed directly on the basis of cost incurred.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India on Thursday said it would take a decision next week on cellular operators' complaint against Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd's latest international and STD tariffs.
Take the rediff business quiz and see how much you know about India and its largest telecommunications company.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd on Thursday announced international roaming on its cellphone services and slashed SMS charges for its post-paid cellular subscribers to 40 paise per message from the existing 60 paise.
This will push the size of the division to 25,000. Pitroda panel had suggested BSNL to cut staff strength by 100,000.
India has recorded the fastest growth in mobile telephony in the world with as many as 13 lakh cellular additions every month, Minister for Communications and IT Arun Shourie said on Friday.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd has proposed to introduce eight-digit numbering for telephone connections in Bangalore urban area shortly, top officials said on Friday.
With an aim to provide cheap connectivity to students, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd on Thursday announced a new basic telephone tariff scheme for students to access Internet with a monthly rental of Rs 99 and a usage charge of 60 paise per three minutes.
Mobile phone services in the Kashmir valley have been cut off since Monday night owing to a technical snag in the system caused by incessant rains, snowfall in some areas and shortage in electricity supply.
Close on the heels of the announcement of revised interconnect usage charges by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd said on Monday that it will have a "relook" at all tariff structures
The Association of Basic Telecom Operators has asked the telecom regulator to make access deficit charge available to all private basic operators for sustainability of fixed line business.
In the new world of 3G mobile telephony, you are face-to-face with your friends or business partners even when you are miles apart.
Sunil Mittal promoted Bharti Group garnered the largest subscriber base of 37.50 lakh (3.75 million), followed by BSNL and Hutchison Group.\n
A three-member committee, members of which were not a part of BSNL's original tender evaluation committee, will submit its report by Monday for the board to evaluate.
The Indian Oil Corporation on Tuesday signed a memorandum of collaboration with the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd to cross-sell their products and services.
Communication minister Arun Shourie on Monday apprised Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee of latest developments in the telecom sector including tariff revision, the issue which rocked the Parliament last week.
Under pressure from various political parties including key members of the NDA coalition, demanding roll-back in telecom tariff, Communications Minister Arun Shourie said on Friday the matter was for the prime minister to decide.
India's largest telecom firm Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd announced on Thursday a reduction in monthly free calls for landline telephone subscribers but did not increase the overall monthly telephone rentals for urban and rural subscribers.\n\n\n\n
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd decided on Thursday to make all incoming calls on CellOne, its cellular service, free of charge from all telephones and all networks, with immediate effect.\n\n\n\n
The rift between state-owned telecom services provider Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd and the telecom watchdog Telecom Regulatory Authority of India over reducing access deficit charge is likely to benefit consumers.
State-run telecom operator BSNL on Tuesday said it expects to close the fiscal with 10 lakh 3G users from seven lakh at present.
The Delhi high court on Thursday extended its interim stay on award of contract by state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd for its Rs 20,000 crore (Rs 200 billion) project, to add 45 million lines in its GSM network till February 12.